Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Technology is No Panacea

12 comments:

  1. I really liked Palmquist’s idea that technology cannot be a “cure-all” for classroom instruction. It has to be appropriately applied to specific venues and at specific time periods when teaching, otherwise, it risks not being effective for students’ learning and teachers’ teaching. The application of educational technology can be tricky because its availability differs across school systems, students’ homes. Also, personal knowledge of how to operate it varies. Teachers should keep in mind that technology can be a good thing, but its purpose in the classroom should not eclipse the true reason for being in school: to gain knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Palmquist’s point that educational technology has to be used wisely. I think that many teachers think that if they incorporate technology into their classroom, like through the use of a powerpoint, then, “Viola! Now my classroom is interesting and technologically savvy”. However, this kind of thinking is skewed because it views technology as a remedy for pupil boredom and a teacher’s lack of true content knowledge or creativity. As teachers, we have to realize that it takes more effort and time to effectively use technology in our classrooms than we may initially think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Palmquist's stance towards educational technology is interesting and evenly balanced. Although he is supportive of technology in the classroom, Palmquist is willing to look at both the benefits and shortcomings. I greatly appreciate how he is not afraid to admit that the use of technology has been a mistake at times. A key point which stood out to me was the responsibility of teachers to acknowledge that every student does not have equal access to technology. Teachers must be sure to adapt their lessons and classroom activities to the varying degrees of technology experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I share Ashby's appreciation for the author's admission that technology is often misused. It is difficult to read about teachers, often art teachers, being replaced by technology. Especially at the elementary level, it seems so important to nurture and expand upon a child's creativity. I know that technology can be used to develop and showcase creativity, but I think that for younger children, a non-technological approach comes first.
    I also agree that technology should be used appropriately and that we must be aware of the access our students have to technology. Students feel anxiety, frustration, and helplessness when their computer/program/iwhatever doesn't work and they watch the rest of the class move ahead. I had this feeling, for example, last week when the I couldn't get my gmail account to be accepted! I wouldn't want that feeling for any of my students.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that the author put a great emphasis on the idea that classroom teachers cannot be replaced, and that the implementation of technology in classrooms can be helpful or hurtful depending on how the teacher and the teachers lesson plan. I have felt the frustration that the author addresses about a computer crashing or a dvd player not working or a slide show disappearing and feeling that we wasted more time then the technological aid was actually worth. I think that learning to work with technology and coming from a technological generation puts our generation of teachers a step ahead (as far as technology goes) of those who have been in the classroom today. I hope to learn how to use the idea of TPACK to address and correct the issues that the author addresses in this article.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like this Palmquist guy, even if he does title his article with words like "panacea" that I have to look up on Google to understand. He is thoughtful and eloquent in his discussion of technology in the classroom, and I agree with his basic premise that we need to embrace technology but be aware that there will be complications along the way. Some programs and devices will work wonders in the classroom. Others will be complete duds. The key as teachers is to learn as much as possible about all that is available to us so that we can make informed decisions about what to use in our classrooms.
    That doesn’t mean I’m not completely overwhelmed by all that is out there and all the possibilities that exist. I am. But my new philosophy that I just invented five minutes ago is to have an open mind and not be afraid to make mistakes. Hopefully it will work out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm hesitant about the use of technology in the classroom. On the one hand, providing exciting, integrated, hands on experiences are great teaching aids, but on the other hand, I'm worried that it will all blow up in my face. There is always seems to be something going wrong. This is why technology in the classroom cannot be a crutch. I fully anticipate using technology in a variety of ways in my classroom, especially when there are so many cool applications, tablets, projectors, and so on. However, I want them to assist my students' learning, not do the learning for them. I might come off as a bit against technology, but I'm not. I'm more worried that people will come to rely on it too much in the classroom.

    - Chris

    ReplyDelete
  8. I, like so many in the class, found Palmquist's article to be a good approach to the subject. I appreciated his acknowledgments of the cautions that some teachers have, and feel that his treatment of the subject is exactly the manner in which it should be dealt: progressing forward without forcing it on people. I look forward to this class and again, agree with many of my fellow students in that I am excited to learn about the applications of technology to assist student learning. The possibilities seem endless and I'm excited to see what we could potentially use to get students more excited about learning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Palmquist made an interesting and important point when he noted that technology is not just a tool we can choose to use in the classroom, it is a force that is transforming our world. 20 or 30 years ago, cutting an art program in order to buy computers seemed like a horrible waste. Today, art is just as important as it ever was (as are music, P.E., and foreign languages), but it has become absolutely essential for students to be technologically literate. The tension between all that we want for our students and all that we can afford is becoming harder to resolve.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Like Palmquist, I am also an avid proponent of educational technology but have always regarded it as a tool rather than a teacher. The fact that technology has sometimes been more of a budget priority than teachers themselves is absolutely sickening. Particularly since technology tends to be so much fun for the user, it is essential for teachers to guide students in the proper use of it, otherwise there is a great potential for wasted time and brainpower. I think the greatest challenge, though, is to make sure our students do not become dependent upon technology, because even though it is becoming more and more reliable, there are still instances when it is not available to us - and we risk developing a population who has no sense of direction because they have become so accustomed to GPS, or who cannot add tip at a restaurant without the use of a calculator. We must first teach students the basic principles that are facilitated by technology BEFORE we put the technology in their hands.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mike Palmquist makes some great points in the article, "Technology is no Panacea." I agree with him that technology is not as cut and dry an issue as some might like to think. Whether technology is "good" or "bad" I think depends on how it is used. But whether we think it's for the better or for the worse doesn't really matter because it is here, now. Palmquist sums this up nicely by saying, "[Technology] is an opportunity. It's a complication. It's a fact of life." His advice is to "use it as wisely as we can." Another point that stuck out when I read this, was his warning to teachers about considering student's backgrounds with regards to technology. This is very good advice for teachers, because while one child might be familiar with the most up-to-date technology, the student sitting right next to them may not have computer access outside of school. That makes the teacher's job more difficult because they have to get them all on the same page.

    ReplyDelete
  12. In "Technology is No Panacea," Mike Palmquist makes very prudent and important points about the use of technology in the classroom, particularly his assertion that technology is a rich set of tools that should be assessed and used wisely by well-informed teachers. I think this is an especially important thing to consider because often it seems like there is more emphasis on the use of technology rather than the content and the best way for students to learn the content. I believe technology does have numerous benefits for learning, such as the ability to access and explore a wealth of information in a variety of forms and communicating ideas in innovative and creative ways. However, if students aren't taught to think critically about the information they find, how to articulate a well-developed idea or argument, or how to engage in meaningful dialogue and discussions on their own, then the technology is fruitless. Writing that incorporates video and audio is interesting but what is most important is that students can write and write well. Learning can be enhanced with the use of technology but it demands careful and informed judgements on the part of the teacher.

    ReplyDelete