Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The Privileged Status of Story

13 comments:

  1. It seems obvious that stories are easier to remember and understand. However, when considering the underlying mechanisms, the reason for this is not as clear. The idea that our minds seek causal connections was particularly interesting to me. Before reading this article, I never knew that listeners expect causality and goals in story. Upon learning this, I realized that I definitely read stories with the expectation of these two elements. Because causality is a strong recall cue, I now understand why I remember books that I read for pleasure (for example, mystery novels) more than material that I read from a textbook. Based upon this knowledge, using the elements of story format in classroom lesson seems like a smart idea that could result in increased learning and comprehension.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I though this article was very informative and was a great way to look at teaching. I think that story telling was stressed a lot, and although this is not and should not be the only way to teach there are certain subjects and concepts when it certainly helps. I am taking a history class right now and my professor typically bases the class on important events, however he barely ever makes a causal connection. In discussion for that class, however, my TA is really good at making the events we learned in lecture into a story and I tend to understand it much better. I think that in the classroom it is important not to overuse story telling, but like the article said it is great for down time, emphasizing important concepts, and increasing students vocabulary. Overall this article was really helpful and interesting, and I feel like through personal experience, especially in history classes I could have benefitted if my teacher had used the methods that Willingham discussed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It’s funny to me to read again and again about the human preference for narrative. Last semester I lived with an Economics major and a grad student in a civil engineering program. Both of them groaned when they saw my textbook on children’s literature. They couldn’t imagine a more horrible thing than learning about children’s books. They hated reading as kids, and they didn’t read now. (Although one of them sometimes read Harry Potter in Spanish, but that was strictly to maintain Spanish fluency. Otherwise it would have been a total waste of time, obviously.) Roomate # 1 would much rather program in an obscure coding language or study VDOT statistics. Roommate #2 preferred not to open a book unless it was at least 50% equations. She also liked analyzing the local housing market. Keep in mind, these were things they did on their free time, not for class.

    Roommate # 2 would watch TV though. She liked Reno 911! But Roommate #1 did not like fiction or narratives, in any form, ever. (except Harry Potter in Spanish, because at least then she could justify taking the time to watch it.) We had a long conversation one night about the purpose of fiction, and the appeal of narrative, and it was shocking to me just how different her perspective was from what I’d usually expect. She genuinely saw all fiction as escapism, something that had no appeal for her: “The world is already really weird and interesting,” she explained, “I don’t see why people need to make things up.” And then I suggested that narrative was a method of ordering and understanding information, and she countered that she didn’t like the inherent bias that comes with narrative conventions. I really, really wish I had known about this article while we were having that conversation. I had a hard time articulating to her why narrative was powerful. I simply took for granted the natural appeal.

    I learned later that she had struggled with reading comprehension until she was almost in college, and she had issues with facial recognition, making it difficult for her to follow along with the plots of movies and TV shows. She had never really read fiction or watched TV, so she honestly didn’t know what she was missing. (She actually asked me to explain Batman, because she didn’t know what it was about.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked reading this article, especially because it encourages us to use story structures as an instructional option. I love stories! It makes sense, since we do remember stories so much easier than textbooks.
    Obviously, this won't be true in every situation, but I can see how it could be very useful and motivating/exciting for students when used appropriately. This could be a great way to spark their interest and then hold their attention.
    I can especially see this being useful when teaching history, as sometimes it can be hard for students to connect all the dots. Arranging information in more of a story format could help them recognize causality, conflict, complication, and character within history.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A good story seems to be pleasing to everyone. As teachers, we should remember that people prefer to get their stories in several different modes whether it's told as gossip, in a novel, on the movie screen, through a soap opera, or in a note passed between students. We can even learn to use these different modes in our classrooms in order to create more authentic and creative assignments for students. They also provide them with several different kinds of texts to use within and outside of the classroom. I'm also all for making use of stories in all content areas, not just English. Stories are such an interesting medium to me since they are nothing more than words, images, and sounds strung together to create something as simple as an account of the day's events to something as ambitious as a three act play. I'm interested in the idea of teachers making use of stories as an instructional tool.

    ReplyDelete
  7. David McCullough is a perfect example of someone who understands "the privileged status of story." He is a fantastic historian who writes history as a narrative. His books on people like John Adams and Harry Truman, and the events of 1776, are not only historically accurate and informative (McCullough won two Pulitizer-prizes for his work) but are also highly-entertaining and engaging and more likely to stick with readers than dry, isolated facts in a history text book. People understand and respond to stories and history is nothing but the "4 C's" discussed in the article. It is crucial then that teachers, like David McCullough, use the elements of story that are so gripping and comprehensible to students, to teach subjects like history, which are all too-often taught in dull and meaningless ways that are of no interest to the students. Doing so will foster a greater interest in, and appreciate of, these subjects and increase student engagement and learning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. To build off of the author's point about the power of the story, I am intersted in how stories can be told through different mediums such as through paintings, photographs, music, and dance. I think students would enjoy watching, hearing, and interpreting the story structure in forms that move away from text. While traditonal written stories most certainy have their place and value in the classroom, I would like to explore the idea of having students "read" images, tone, body language, and other more subtle ways of relating a story to someone. Storytelling can also be used to introduce students to new ideas and cultures since most humans cast their identity in some sort of narrative form. Stories, then, are transferrable in that they can be used in any context in order to provide us with a vehicle through which we can make meaning of our experiences and the events which shape our current realities.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The reading this week explained why stories are naturally appealing (especially compared to other means of learning info). I hadn't given it much thought until reading this article, but looking back I clearly recall stories my teachers told as examples and explanations of what we were learning. Those stories stick out way more than the info I read in the textbook, or the diagrams on the chalkboard, or the lectures, or the power points.

    The article explains why stories are so effective- we grow up hearing them; we know what to expect; they follow a logical cause and effect pattern; and so on. It's not hard to see why teachers ought to take a hint here and incorporate more stories in their teaching. So why don't they? I don't recall too many of my math, science, or even history teachers using stories. These might not be the most traditional classes to use stories in but as the article points out, stories are more effective no matter what the topic is!

    Clearly there are going to be certain challenges when trying to incorporate stories in a math or science class, but with such compelling benefits it seems well worth the creative effort. And as the article explains, there are many ways to incorporate stories. I especially like the idea of applying the elements that make stories so effective (the "Four C's”) to the lesson plan. I will definitely be keeping these elements in mind and using lots of stories when I am a teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  10. As a future elementary school teacher, likely on the K-2 level, I have always anticipated that storytelling would be a vital element of my teaching. There is no denying that stories hold students' attention, while also exposing them to elements of literature and language. Therefore, their value has always been evident to me. After reading this article, though, I envision a whole new role that stories will play in my classroom. Whereas before I was thinking more along the lines of reading OTHERS' stories, I now see myself coming up with a good deal of my own. I had never really given thought to how stories are not only easier to remember but also to comprehend (although it makes perfect sense now that I think about it), so for this reason I believe that stories will be particularly useful for introducing new topics, particularly those that may be abstract to students. By incorporating curricular content within a story, we provide students with a foundation upon which to build their understanding. Therefore, I expect that stories will be an invaluable resource for my teaching.

    I find it somewhat ironic that we read this article, though, since it makes no mention of technology. I know it aligns with the digital storytelling project we’ve been working on, but I honestly don’t see myself having the time to make many digital stories. Sure, I might use the format from time to time, but for the most part I expect that I will tell my stories the old-fashioned way – orally!


    Katie Coan

    ReplyDelete
  11. This article regarding storytelling was well structured, and introduced me to some new concepts about storytelling as a teaching device, regardless of grade level. I really like that they broke storytelling down into the 4Cs that facilitate use in the classroom a lot easier than simply "storytelling". I, like some of my other classmates, am interested to apply this to other mediums besides oration (such as with the digital storytelling), and I think it is a great tool to use when constructing lesson plans or the presentation of information in any setting. I think this, like most topics in this class, will be useful in applications in life, as well as in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Whenever I read for pleasure I always seem to remember the small details and grasp the major concepts. This is not the case when I usually read textbooks. Perhaps it is the way I approach reading the two very different texts. This is what I liked about the article because it incorporates different learning styles and needs. As teachers we need to be cognicant of the implications this may have on our students. Over the past few weeks we have discovered new ways to present material. The exciting and engaging storybook and podcast represent different ways to accomodate studenets and their needs. As teachers we need to be able to utilize this power and information to accomodate our students, especially those with learning disorders. The article does an excellent job describing and challenging the reader to think outside of the box to tell a story or teach a lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What’s important about this article is that it gives actual evidence that shows that stories are more easily understood and remembered than expository texts. As others have mentioned, that just seems like common sense. But in the field of education you’ve got to have a study done to prove everything. As teachers we should always be using “evidence-based” practices, and this article provides proof that using stories in the classroom can lead to better comprehension and retention. So I look at this piece as something I can pull out of my desk when my principal asks me why I’m focusing so much on personal stories in my history lessons or why I’m incorporating storytelling elements into my math and science lessons. I also think the latter part of the article is a useful resource for any teacher looking for ways to integrate storytelling into the curriculum. This wasn’t my favorite reading we’ve had this semester, but I understand its value.

    ReplyDelete